INVESTIGATIVE SERVICES DIVISION
PISTOL PERMIT PROCESS
Pistol Permit applications can be picked up at the New London Police Department at any time.
TO ALL PISTOL PERMIT APPLICANTS:
Connecticut General Statutes mandate a single permit system within the State of Connecticut. The Chief of Police will issue a 60-day Temporary State Permit, valid in the State of Connecticut to carry (but not to purchase) firearms. For further statutory information, see Chapter 529 of the Connecticut General Statutes
Items required at the time of submission of Pistol Permit Application are:
- Application for Permit to Carry Pistols and Revolvers (DPS-799-C) APPLICATION MUST BE NOTARIZED.
- Completed fingerprint card (State Applicant card DPS-125-C). Fingerprinting may be performed at the police department in accordance with our regular schedule (click here for more information).
Photograph of applicant (no group photos), preferably passport-sized
- Copy of birth certificate, US Passport or other proof of lawful U.S. residency
- Copy of certified NRA Basic Pistol Course or an acceptable equivalent. The course must contain “live fire,” and student must fire a semi-automatic pistol or revolver. The NRA’s Home firearms safety course and “First Steps Pistol Orientation Program” are not approved. Must also include copy of instructor’s card from NRA.
- Copy of DD-214 if applicant has ever served in the US military
- Additionally, the following certified checks or money orders must be submitted to the NLPD:
$16.50 to "Treasurer, State of CT"
$50.00 to "Treasurer, State of CT"
The local process takes at least eight weeks, dependant upon the state and federal response time of your fingerprint-supported background check. Once the background check is complete, we will contact you to schedule a suitability interview with the Commander of the Investigative Services Division. Once the Chief has signed your temporary permit, you will then be contacted when you may pick it up. At the time you pick up your permit from the police department, you must submit a certified check or money order for $70.00 to the City of New London.
Copyright © 2013
City of New London, CT. All Rights