False Alarm Reduction Initiative
- See the full text of the new ordinance here
Law enforcement officers respond to thousands of false alarm calls annually. These unnecessary responses result in an enormous burden in personnel resources and monetary expenses which, in turn, reduce the time available to respond to real emergences or proactively patrol the community. It is the goal of the New London Police Dept. False Alarm Reduction Initiative to reduce the number of false alarms and bring alarm users into compliance with industry best practices for alarm maintenance. In 2017 the NLPD responded to 1923 alarm calls in the city; 99.3% of those calls were false alarms. This response equates to roughly $33,407 per year spent on responding to false alarm calls.
How it Works...
- The City has contracted with Public Safety Corporation to assist with managing the False Alarm Reduction Initiative. There will be a website created in the coming weeks where all alarm users will register their alarm and complete a simple online form. Registration is free and the alarm user will be given a permit number to keep on file. The permit must be renewed annually and on-time renewal is also free.
- There will be an educational campaign to inform all alarm users and alarm companies of the new ordinance, their responsibilities and the fees associated with false alarms. When NLPD Officers respond to alarms during this time, they will place one of the stickers depicted below on or near the door of the property, informing the occupants that the police department responded to an alarm and to be sure to become familiar with the new ordinance.
- Each alarm system will be allowed 2 free false activations per calendar year. The NLPD will begin levying fines after the 2nd false alarm in a calendar year.
- Exceptions are made for weather events, power outages and when police are cancelled before arriving at the alarm location. There is also an appeals process if an alarm user believes that a fine was levied in error.
Permit Renewal Late Fee $25.00
False Alarm Fees
1st alarm No Charge
2nd alarm No Charge
3rd alarm $100.00
4th alarm $150.00
5th alarm $200.00
Subsequent alarms $250.00 per activation
Unregistered Alarm Fees
Unregistered Alarm Activation Fee $100.00
(Plus the applicable false alarm fee)
Late fee for payment after 30 days $25.00
All other provisions of this section $50.00
For questions or more information, please contact the NLPD Crime Prevention Officer at 860-440-6673.